Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Is it possible for dental insurance to cover filling a chipped tooth?

Okay, so I called my insurance (delta dental), and I asked them if they covered filling a chipped tooth, and they said yes. Then, when I went to go see the dentist he told me it's cosmetic and that my insurance won't cover it. I told him my insurance already told me that they did, and he responded by telling me that no insurance covers anything cosmetic. Is this true, and did my insurance just lie to me or make a mistake?
--------------------
some do and some dont. Hear is what i suggest. 1. Check what the ADA (American Dental Association) code is for the procedure that they would do. They should give you that code, and then call your insuranceand ask them what they cover on that specific procedure, and here is why. Depending on how they fill the tooth, it may actually fall under a catagory for a normal filling, which means your insurance would pay money. So that is my first suggestion. Second is to buy something called a dental discount plan. You can have both that and a traditional insurance, but they usually do cover some on cosmetic procedures. I know for a fact the dental plan at http://www.1dental.com/ does cover some on cosmetic procedures. The things to check is if that dentist will be available on that discount plan. But what you might even be able to do to save even more is to use the discount plan at the dental office and then file the rest with your insurance personally, and that might drop the price significantly for you. So to summarize... 1. Ask the for the ADA code for the procedure. Those are standard codes that all dentist use. 2. Then call your insurance and see if they cover that specific ADA code and what that would cost. 3. If they do... GREAT! call the dentist and tell them, and or have your insurance tell them whats up. 3. Or if not... Get a discount plan, see what they cover on that ADA code and go to a dentist that uses that dental discount plan 4. Personally (because more than likely your dentist office wont want to) file the rest of what that trip to the dentist cost you, and they might send you some reimbursement. I hope that helps!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment