Wednesday, December 29, 2010

does tricare/united concordia insurance dental insurance cover oral surgery and orthodontics?

i am 21 and my husband is joining the army sometime next month. when i was a kid, my dad was a staff sgt (E6) and i was under the impression tricare paid for EVERYTHING. but now i am hearing otherwise. i need a lot of dental work done soon. i have cavities that need to be filled, i have impacted wisdom teeth and i need oral surgery for that, and i need braces (dentist said they are necessary, not cosmetic). will i be able to immediately be on his insurance when he leaves for basic? will the insurance pay for any of my dental needs. i need all this done asap. thanks.
--------------------
Sadly the Tricare United Concordia dental insurance doesn't cover everything, you actually do have to pay a pretty big cost share. I signed up about a year ago, if you do it online you have to fill out a lot of info bout your spouse and wait for them to mail you a confirmation after they check your info. I think the cut off was like the 20th of the month, if you sign up on the 21st or later you have to wait until the next month til your coverage can take affect. They might not approve you until he gets out of basic as a graduate (just in case he purposely went and fails just so you could of got that coverage for those 2 months.) My husband is active duty (E6), I had oral surgery done (wisdom theeth removal), United concordia paid 40% ($600), I had to pay 60% ($700). As person said above, they do pay $1500 for braces MAX. Doesn't matter how necessary they are. I got braces put on and its pretty much purely cosmetic, they are paying the $1500, I had to pay the rest ($1900). I heard though that if your over 23 they wont pay any orthodontist treatment, so just make sure you visit an ortho asap to get started before then! Have fun being a military spouse :) It gets hard, but don't worry, there will always be other spouses around to help.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment