Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Is a root canal considered "dental surgery" according to dental insurance companies?

I'll try to make this short. I was covered by my mom's insurance when I was in school and had to get a dental onlay because I had a major cavity that came on in a very short time between cleanings. I went through a period of being uninsured then I started coverage on myself through my work as of January 1st, and in the time that I was uninsured like late in the last year, my onlay became loose. It doesn't bother me at all but I'm going to go back to the same dentist that did that procedure because luckily I can do that with my new insurance. However, I'm afraid that if the cavity progressed to far I may need a root canal. My insurance says it covers 80% on the following: fillings, minor restoration, endodontics and dental surgery. It covers 50% on crowns, dentures and partials. In general is the root canal treatment included in dental surgery? (I know the crown is separate/not included) Thanks... I'm asking because I'm having issues with the website and the 1-800 automated line only gives me basic info on my coverage, like what I told you above.
--------------------
My insurance says it covers 80% on the following: fillings, minor restoration, endodontics and dental surgery. Ok to answer your question quickly, you already answered your own question since a root canal is known as endodontic therapy it is not surgery but is part of endodontics which your insurance company stated it covers 80% of. So be prepared to pay about around 150 to 200 dollars depending on how much your dentist charges for root canals and the difficulty of the case. Also even if the decay is deep it might not need a root canal only a dentist can confirm such a diagnosis and until then I would not worry too much. hope this helps, 3rd Year Dental Student, Future Endodontist
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment