Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Can I get my wisdom teeth removed while pregnant?

I have a serious problem. Right around the time I got pregnant, my two top wisdom teeth began to rot. I wasn't on insurance, so I didn't go see a dentist. I now have dental insurance, am 20 weeks pregnant, and my wisdom teeth have gotten even worse. One is almost completely rotted away, and the other is almost there. I know I'd have to have major dental surgery, and the rotting teeth makes me worry about a blood infection that could affect my baby. What should I do?
--------------------
After the first trimester most dental procedures can be performed without consequences to the baby or yourself provided you are having a normal pregnancy without complications. The dentist more than likely will need to confer with your physician(obstetrician) prior to any treatment. And I agree with a previous answer it is imperative to keep the teeth clean! However if you are not having any pain or infection from the decayed teeth it is possible that the extraction could be delayed until after your delivery. It is imperative for you to be careful with any analgesics(pain meds) taken for pain without consulting with your physician because they could be harmful to both you and your baby.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment