Sunday, April 3, 2011

Is it legal for my dad to discontinue health insurance for his kids?

My dad has health and dental insurance from his work, and we all are covered under it. I have 3 siblings ages 8,13, and 15 (I am 20) My mom is also on his insurance. My dad is bi-polar, and has issues with anger (he refuses to seek treatment) He is very emotionally abusive, and threatens to not buy food. He controls all of my mom's income. He's really hard to live with. So, this morning his latest threat is that he is taking all of us off of his insurance tomorrow. My mom can get insurance from her job, but obviously it'd take some time for the paperwork. So these are my questions: a) Can he legally take his kids off insurance? Especially the younger ones? b) Will we just not have insurance tomorrow, or is there some way to be covered during the switchover? Thanks for your help!
--------------------
Yes, it is legal for him to drop his insurance plan.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment