Wednesday, March 16, 2011

dental opinion regarding crown /root canals versus implants?

Hi. One by one all of my molars are needing crowns and then 2-5 years later it seems, root canals. I also lost a molar recently where decay formed under the crown. I do not have any dental insurance for major restorative work and do not have a job. This crown root canal process is costing about $3000+ per tooth. I now have a back molar on my lower teeth that has broken off and needs a crown and like my other molars, will probably need a root canal as well down the road. I am thinking that I might just be better off with an implant and to have the tooth extracted. I can get an implant for about $1000 and do need another implant for the recent extraction (where there was decay under the crown). I am thinking this might be a better long-term solution than going through the overpriced crown/root canal process but would like a dentist's opinion. I brush my teeth 2-3 times per day and floss every day. I am using a hydrogen peroxide rinse. I had periodontal disease but it has cleared up and my gums are now healthy. I have always made a big effort with dental hygiene but just don't have very good teeth. I do not have enough saliva so I know that is part of the problem. I also break my crowns from heavy grinding and wear a splint. I am a middle-aged female in good health. I would appreciate a dentist's opinion. Thank you.
--------------------
One of the reasons implant restorations are gaining in popularity is because of their long term predictability. Once the impant is placed, it is then restored with a crown. This is often a better long term solution because there is no possibility of additional decay. However, the price you indicated seems low- it is likely the price of the placement of the implant itself. You will likely spend another $1000-$2000 for the restoration. Go see your dentist and ask about implant restoration, making sure you understand the process- most often both an abutment and a crown is needed. In short: an implant replaces the ROOT of the tooth (it does not extend above the gums). The abutment screws into the implant and is what the crown is cemented onto. This mimics what happens when a real tooth is prepared for a crown- we cut all around the outside and the biting surface to make room for the crown- and then call it a prepared tooth or prep. The crown is then cemented on the prep. So, the abutment mimics the prep, and a crown is cemented onto it. Ocassionally one does the abutment and crown in one piece. There are mechanical reasons why this is not typical. I would be cautious is it is advised.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment