Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Is Aspen Dental a scam? 14 cavities?

I have not had a cleaning in 2 years. I just got dental insurance, but Aspen Dental is the only dentist I can use on the plan. The hygienist said my teeth were amazing and that my "levels" were good, even on my wisdom teeth. Then the dentist came in and said my x-rays showed 14 cavities and that I 'MUST' have my wisdom teeth out. All of this is covered on my insurance, so it's not costing me anything. I feel like they are telling me this stuff just so they can bill my insurance. If I go to another dentist for a second opinion, will i have to pay for a new set of x-rays, or can they transfer them from Aspen? Help! I don't want to have my wisdom teeth out, and I don't want a mouth full of cavities!
--------------------
I would definitely go to another dentist for a second opinion, since the dentist may take advantage of the fact that you cant go to another dentist. You should have a right to your x-rays - you (or your insurance) have paid for them, and thus, you should be able to obtain them. Sometimes, they will charge a duplication fee, if they want a record for themselves. It should be very minimal, a few dollars at most. That being said, most people will need to remove their wisdom teeth, as they are difficult to clean and cause hygiene problems. However, each case is different, and as i cannot see your mouth, i cannot assess this. But a second opinion will help you assess your needs. In the mean time, i would begin rinsing with a fluoridated rinse such as oral b with fluoride to help strengthen your teeth.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment