Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dental Abscess question, please answer?

I have a dental abscess that i've had now i'd say a month now.. (I have had no pain with it btw) and I have no insurance btw After the third day after noticing an abscess had come up on my gums by my cavity I went to the dentist and they x rayed and offered to either root canal ($600) or a tooth extraction ($157) but they would not pull it until the infection dyed down so they prescribed me Amoxicillyn until my next appointment with them which was a week later. Well I took all the pills (7 pills) but when it came time for the appointment I did not have the money to pay for the extraction so I cancelled the appointment. (By this time I had all the symptoms "ill feeling, and a little swollen cheek".) That same night that I cancelled my appointment I went to my friends and he gave me left over antibiotics that we're still good (I looked online and found that they would work for a tooth infenction or dental abscess so I took them for about a week and a half) after coming home I told my mom about my abscess and how I was worried and she called a dentist office called "Quality of Life" who would provide a good price for low income families or w/e and my appointment isn't until August 7th. So a week ago while still waiting for this appointment I showed my gf's mom (who is a nurse) my abscess and she sterilized a needle and drained my abscess and since then my abscess has gone down and the swelling is gone. is this good? I know that as long as you have the infection tooth the infection would always be there but I wonder if you drained an abscess successfully it would kill the infection and make it start all over again? So I've had an abscess for a month now... How does this all sound, do I sound like i'd be ok til August 7th? of course i'm worried.
--------------------
As long as the infection has a way to drain through the abscess, you shouldn't swell up any more. It's good that you drained it out. If you feel like it's starting to swell again call the dentist and have them call in an antibiotic for you. Depending where you live, some stores only charge $3-6. Otherwise you should be fine until the 7th. The reason you swell up is because there's no place for the infection to escape to and it just builds up. With antibiotics and draining the infection you may feel fine and want to skip the treatment but those things just hide the infection and the abscess will just come back. The infection is inside the tooth and the antibiotics don't reach it.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment