Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dental Procedure gone wrong?

I went into the dentist office because a procedure he had done earlier that previous month was bothering me. He proceeded to explain how I needed a root canal. As usual I explained to him about my problem with being hard to numb and how sensitive my tooth was. He said that was the only thing that would get me out of pain. He did the root canal and before I left his office my feeling started to return. I went straight to the pharmacy and got my prescription fill but because of the pain and swelling I was unable to make it home. I drove four blocks to my mom house and she had to drive me home. In less than two and a half hours my right side was completely swollen, I thought it was a reaction by that evening I had taken three vicadon and two 800 tylenol all of which he prescribed. I didn't sleep for four days. I wasn't able to eat for two weeks, nothing but liquids. I ended up at urgent care on the next day all the while calling the dentist (to never get a return call). My husband called for four days and got a return call and fax two week later. In the interim I ended up in urgent care twice until they had to send me to the hospital. I ended up at the hospital twice on iv antibiotics, because of staph infection that I was informed by urgent care and the hospital was given via my dental procedure. The Urgent Care, Hospital and my Primary Care physicians all explained to me that having that type of infection inside of the tissue of my face was rare, and usually comes from an un-sterile environment or the dentist pushing the infection into my tissue when he numbed me. I just stop taking antibiotics at the end of September and I am still under doctor and dental care. The two teeth that he worked on have completely fallen apart and to add insult to injury he charged me for two procedures that he did not do which exhausted my insurance. The day I walked into the dentist, a grandmother told me how her granddaughter was in the chair and was having a bad reaction, bleeding and that the dentist had to strap her down. Her question was simple did I trust this dentist? Well two and a half months later I am constantly thinking did that little girl get infected too.
--------------------
If your dentist really refused to answer your calls then this is a very serious problem. However I do find parts of your story a little hard to believe. If you feel the work was done incorrectly then you need to contact your state's dental association. They usually have a program where in independent dentist will evaluate the qualtiy of work and offer advice on how to proceed. This, of course, is free to you.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment