Sunday, June 26, 2011

wisdom teeth need to be pulled. No insurance?

My husband is 24 and desperately needs his wisdom teeth removed ASAP. He hasn't been to the dentist in 12 years and his dental hygiene hasn't been the best (better now sense we have been married lol). His new job offers insurance (but isn't that great for the amount we would have to pay) and I am on maternity leave (no job = no insurance). We applied for Medi-Cal but were told we would have a "Share of Cost" (meaning we would have to pay around $3,200 a month before they would cover anything)... I am not sure if it makes any difference...but... we are in Redding California (no dental schools around here...) Anyways... My questions to you wonderful people are... -Can he get insurance just to have his wisdom teeth pulled? -If he hasn't been to the dentist in YEARS, does he need to see a dentist before the Oral Surgeon or can we just see the Oral Surgeon? -If he can't get insurance, how much is this gonna run us? Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it!
--------------------
He will probably need a referral from a dentist to see an oral surgeon. I am in a similar bind, I need my wisdom teeth pulled and have no insurance. I looked online and found a few sites that might help. I'm not sure what they are right now, i have them written down at my mother's house, but you could try googling it. It's not really "insurance" but you can get it up to 3 days before you need dental surgery and you basically pay like $145/year and then they'll cover the extractions except you'll have to pay maybe a couple hundred bucks for it. Which would be better than a couple thousand. Edit: another option would be to ask the oral surgeon to remove one or two at a time so you don't have to pay as much right away. you could wait a few months inbetween and try to save up money. also, don't do general anesethesia as it will cost you more. try to do just locally numb it.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment