Sunday, June 26, 2011

I have a question about my root canal...?

My dentist gave me a root canal then covered it with a filling until my crown came in. What I want to know is if I really need the crown, or can I make do with the filling. I'm asking because my dental insurance will pay 50%, and my 50% makes it seem like they only paid 5%. Furthermore, would you recommend getting another dental insurance policy?
--------------------
A tooth with a root canal usually becomes brittle in time and it is prone to fracturing. A crown in placed on the tooth to prevent that from happening. A filling does not protect the rest of the tooth; it only fills in the hole that the dentist drilled to do the root canal. Some people elect not to place a crown on the tooth because of finances and sometimes you're lucky and other times the tooth cracks in half and you have to extract it. I would only get another dental insurance policy if your employer covers it. Otherwise, you may find yourself paying more in monthly premiums than what the insurance company pays for your dental work.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment