Saturday, July 2, 2011

Published Authors: Insurance? How does that work?

I imagine it varies from place to place, but just the basics would be great, I suppose. Do you have insurance (medical, dental, etc.) while you're under contract, while your books are still selling, lifetime, what? Do they expect you to go out and get your own insurance? Family coverage? Pre-existing conditions? Is it group insurance? Any questions I forgot to ask, could you answer them while you're at it? Yeah, I'm kinda looking for good news for my family. Some of them already think I'm crazy for pursuing this, but they're the ones who don't read what I write and when they do say "so what?" Thanks all!
--------------------
Insurance? I have never seen a standard writer's contract that offered any type of insurance. You are not an employee of the publisher, you simply sold a commodity to them -- your book. I have never heard of an author who was insured by their publishing company -- either for themselves or for their family. Dental? Are you kidding? No - there is no insurance. If you are under contract with a major publisher and have a good agent, you may get a decent advance. If you are published by a small publisher, expect royalties ONLY. But no insurance. In the case of small publishers, I doubt even their own employees have dental insurance. If your family is in need of insurance, then you would be best to get a job and write in your free time. Your family's health and well-being should come before your writing. Pax- C
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment