Thursday, August 18, 2011

Abused an humiliated by Dentist. What are my options? I am NOT looking for a lawsuit. Just my dignity.?

A tooth on my existing partial broke off and I had asked my dentist to make me a new one. I stated that I again, wanted a Valplast partial. He took the imprint and sent it out. It came back a week or so ago and I went to the office to pick it up. It wasn't what I had expected. The teeth were small and discolored and it was set on a metal plate. I thought it was me so I had tried to live with it but the discomfort became unbearable. I developed sores on the inside of my mouth and the teeth looked awful. I tried to like them but friends and coworkers looked at me and their look spoke a thousand words- it looked awful. I called the office and went back. The dentist who was once so very kind was furious as I sat in the chair crying trying to explain why I didn't like the partial. I showed him the sores on the inside of my mouth and he stormed out of the room. He caused a big scene and fellow patients came to have a look. He kept saying he wanted to retire. I did nothing. I just said there, I couldn't believe this was happening. I wasn't hysterical when I came in so don't get the wrong impression. I cried in pain. I'm a Psychiatric Tech. and I know how to handle myself-- which I could say the same for others. He told me "Oh great! Now I have to pay for this!" He tried to force it into my mouth. He tried to force me into keeping it as a supposed "spare" but I said no. His dental hygienist was kind. She agreed the partial did not look right and said I had every right to voice my opinion. Another came in and tried to cheer me up. I left. He did the impression and I now I am waiting on my new partial... I am really very fearful of going back. I don't want to be subjected to his abuse. He already charged my dental insurance company and I will be making a payment arrangement to pay off the remainder. Can I request that I pick up the teeth without seeing him? What do I do?
--------------------
He will need to delivery the new set, otherwise you will have problems. You should not fear going back. From what you said, he sounds like he should be the one embarrassed to see you. I bet he will apologize to you about his behavior. I have had moments in which I felt like your dentist, but would never act the way he did. I would leave the office and take a walk for a few minutes and recompose myself.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment