Thursday, August 18, 2011

Anyone know the cost difference between a regular root canal procedure and an emergency one?

Unfortunately, I left a cavity in one of my molars untreated and it has now gotten an abscess and I was told by my dentist a root canal is the only thing to save it. I cannot get dental insurance coverage until January of 2010 and he told me that by that time, there is a pretty good chance the tooth would have fallen out on it's own, while also infecting neighboring teeth and/or them falling out as well. He advised me that since I do not have insurance, to go to the school of dentistry in my neighborhood but when I called, they told me that they were booked until August, which of course, is around the time I will be away on a trip so appointments at that time would be impossible for me anyway. They do take emergencies however, and i'm thinking I can pull off passing it as such, even though I am in no pain at all from it but people have told me that the emergency procedure would cost more than just getting one by appointment. If this is going to cost as much or almost as much as my regular dentist would have charged me, i'de rather just somehow come up with the cash and have him do the procedure. I really want to get it done asap by the school by just getting admitting into emergency care for it but I was trying to find out cost variations between emergency procedures and normal ones. Oh and I am in the area of Philadelphia, PA if that helps.
--------------------
My husband and I recently got dental benefits through Ameriplan - although he HAS dental insurance they wouldn't cover the implant, as Delta Dental considers it cosmetic. The out of pocket cost would have been $3000, and with Ameriplan he's getting it done for $1600. For the benefit we pay $20 a month, so it's well worth it to us. If you want to check into it here's the website... http://www.mybenefitsplus.com/40668852 We know what you're going through. Good luck!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment