Thursday, August 18, 2011

Waiting on fixing cavities?

Well, earlier today I noticed two OBVIOUS cavities in one of my upper thirteen year molars.(On the back of course, the most difficult area to brush) ARRRG. I really don't know how I didn't notice them before, but, unfortunately I didn't. I am already a starving college student, but decided to invest in some dental insurance as I also have 3 wisdom teeth erupting. *sigh* There is a six month waiting period on it for minor-dental work, immediate coverage for preventative/cleanings type stuff. I'm at a loss of what to do here. It is probably incredibly stupid to wait, but does anyone think I could make it until September without getting this fixed? Perhaps brushing 5 times a day instead of 2, getting a cleaning? Or will this just wear my already weakened enamel into nihility? I assume when I go to the dentist he will recommend I don't wait, but realistically, if I take preventative steps, will the cavity spread into the pulp? I use flouride/floss and don't eat a lot of sugar.
--------------------
If the decay is visible to you, odds are it's pretty extensive under the surface. See your dentist as soon as you can so he can tell you the extent of the decay. Let them know that you have dental insurance but that coverage for basic and major work has a 6 month waiting period. Ask if you can wait until then to have treatment. Odds are you can't without running into a probable emergency situation before then and/or the decay going even deeper and possibly requiring more extensive work. All the brushing in the world isn't going to stop the decay that is already present in your mouth. Decay on the mesial or distal side of the tooth can spread to the tooth next to it if not treated. Certainly you should brush after every meal and at bedtime. Talk to your dentist about any flouride products you can buy in his office. A toothpaste called Control RX has 5X's the amount of fluoride that any over the counter product has. You brush with it at night and do not rinse your mouth after. This allows the fluoride to do it's thing while you are asleep. Definitely get your cleaning done too. Only your doctor can tell you what type of cleaning you need. If you do not have any periodontal problems, you would have a routine prophy which is covered under your preventative coverage on your dental insurance. Periodontal treatment falls into either the basic or major category of your insurance, thus the waiting period would apply. Make sure you get a fluoride treatment with each cleaning. The positive side of any treatment which falls into the waiting period, is that the fees are set by the insurance company. If you are going to an in network provider, you pay the fees set by your insurance company, not the dental office. These fees are always much lower. Good luck to you and call your dentist in the morning.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment