Sunday, August 21, 2011

Compensation in lieu of Medical Benefits????

I am considering taking a promising position...However, the new company- a small, local business, is not able to provide medical/dental insurance. They are willing to compensate me if I opt to purchase an individual plan. What is the best option- wait it out for a position that offers coverage or ask to be compensated for an individual plan? Who to go through for insurance? How do I make sure I get the best coverage for my money? How much should I negoiate compensation with my employer?
--------------------
Hello. I am working in a small company (13 employees) as the office manager, who handles everything. I know every state - insurance company has different rules. But Small Group Insurance benefits/Individual benefits are very limited. Even your employer reimburse you for the premiums, the benefits are considerably inadequate compared to "Big Company's" benefits. Especially, if you have "pre-conditioned" medical problem... you will most likely have to wait for 12 months after the enrollment to get any coverage for your athma medications/treatments. Is this "prospective employer" will offer the medical insurance in near future? Are they growing? I would not say you need to give up your great opportunity. But if you are going to take the position, I hope the salary is good enough to cover the medical expenses that may occur. (I really hope you stay healthy that makes no difference having a good insurance or inadequate one.) If you are single and late 20's or early 30's. The company will only reimburse you for the premium only, which will probably from $170~$250 per month at most including dental & vision. If I were you.... , I would wait out unless the company is really growing and growing. It is sad to say but there are so much "small company" can offer. I myself would like to get the best medical benefits for my employees/co-workers but we just don't have options to upgrade because we are "Small Company". So Good Luck!!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment