Sunday, August 21, 2011

How much does Tricare cover for a tooth implant?

I'm a spouse and I'm in need of an implant. I'm just now getting onto dental insurance so I haven't been able to go to the dentist and ask them these question. My civilian doctor told me a few years ago that I was going to need an implant by 20. I'm now 21 and in desperate need of dental care lol. Its a real medical problem. I have a baby molar with no tooth underneath. Thus loosing the tooth would cause all of my teeth to shift. Its the only tooth that has a problem. All my other teeth are perfect (amazingly). So how much does Tricare cover? We're kind of in the hole for money. I don't have a job and the military really doesn't pay that good. (Husbands an E-4). From what I have researched it will supposedly pay for it in full as long as its a real medical situation. But I'd like to know more.
--------------------
First of all, a dental implant will probably run you between $2500-$3000 including the crown. I do not think Tricare covers any of the implant and maybe they will cover 50% of an implant crown. Even if they do cover an implant, you should have a maximum payment by the insurance of $1000-$1500. If you just got the insurance, you might have a waiting period too for major procedures, which this is one. Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but if you get an implant, you will probably be resposible for anywhere from $1500-$3000. Insurance may pick up $1500 all the way down to nothing. A dental implant is not considered a medical necessity and will not be covered by your medical at all. Best of luck to you.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment