Saturday, August 6, 2011

Do I really need an implant for this extracted molar?

In spring of this year, I had to have my number 30 tooth pulled. This is on the bottom right, second from the back (not including wisdom tooth, which was removed years ago). It had been broken for several months thanks to a cavity and a cherry with a pit inside of it, and had degenerated into a black, painful, gory stump. I did not have dental insurance when it eventually abscessed, and I was forced to have it pulled at an emergency dental facility. Funnily enough, my mother is missing this same exact tooth and has been for about 20 years, and none of her teeth have shifted or fallen out as a result of the missing tooth. My maternal grandparents are also both missing molars which they had pulled, and none of them have suffered any consequences. They insist that the dentists are trying to get me to pay more money by telling me myths about the consequences of pulling teeth. I wonder if they are right, or if having super awesome teeth just runs in our family. At any rate, I have dental insurance now through my employer and am wondering if I ought to get an implant. It has been less than a year, but I have not yet seen any problems. Sometimes I do feel like my teeth on my left side get a little sore from handling the brunt of the chewing, and I worry that this means they are all going to start deteriorating if I don't get an implant. Any ideas?
--------------------
You need to speak to your dentist about other options for tooth replacement. You could do a mini partial (its removable) to maintain space. You can also do a 2 unit cantilever bridge (non removable). The cantilever bridge is done by crowning the tooth behind the missing tooth and putting a false tooth in your empty spot and it rests on the tooth in front. Also you can do a 3 unit bridge. Each of these is cheaper than an implant and crown and the wait time is usually 2 weeks vs. the year it can take for the implant to be ready for a crown. This site will show you what i mean http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/dental-…
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment