Saturday, August 6, 2011

How does one find an honest dentist?

Recently, I've had some bad experiences with dentists that I felt were trying to get me to receive treatment and services that I either don't really need or want. Several of these treatments or services that I was encouraged to receive are not covered by my dental insurance. For example, on a recent visit I was given an oral cancer screening that cost me $65. This wasn't covered by insurance. When I signed the paper work at the beginning of the visit, the consent form for this screening was mixed in with the other paper work. Why didn't they inform me this wasn't covered. My intuitive sense is that these dentist offices are more about the bottom line and making a profit instead of good dental health for patients. Honestly, it is like going to a garage and being ripped off. I've talked to several colleagues and friends and they are being pressured just as I have to have "deep cleaning," night guards, braces(they are in their 30's and 40's), chemo thrap, etc. My question is how do I find a dentist who is not trying to rip me off but has my dental health as one of his/her top priorities?
--------------------
You might try going to a dental clinic that is affiliated with a dental school in your area. I've never gone to a private practice dentist in my whole life. I have always gone to the University of Texas Health Science Center Dental Faculty Practice clinic. They are the most honest because they get paid on salary so it's not in their interest to make you have procedures that you do not need. These types of clinics also bill insurance if money is an issue. Even if you don't have insurance procedures there are cheaper than a private practice. They are probably better than private practice dentists because they are also faculty, so they are always up to date on the latest. I'm not sure what area you live in, but I would try to seek out some dental schools in your area and see if they have an faculty practice clinic. If this is not an option then just try to talk to as many people as you can to refer you to a good dentist. If know it seems that dentists are only out to get your money, but there are good and honest ones out there. Hope this helps!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment