Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Best At-Home Teeth Bleaching Products?

Since I can remember, my teeth have always appeared stained or yellowed. It's not a gross yellowing associated with poor dental care. On the contrary my teeth have always been well cared for and never given me trouble. All my siblings needed braces, but I was lucky and didn't have to go through the pain they suffered due to adjustments or just the pain having a mouth full of metal. I have great alignment and a good bite. Being born in the 60's, when I did have a cavity, it was filled with the silver amalgam mixture of the day (mixture of silver, tin, zinc, copper and mercury. I've been assured the mixture is safe and many dentists still use this product to fill teeth). The fillings have served me well and only a few of the filling have been replaced in my molars. While no dentist (I've probably had four or five due to the fact that my job requires me to move) has ever mentioned the color of my teeth, when I did have to have a root canal a year ago, I was sure my tooth coloring would put me on the bottom row (very yellowed) of crown colors. I was surprised that the color of the porcelain dental crown I needed was only fourth from the first (the first being an almost unnatural white). It's important to know that I have never smoked, never drank coffee or tea. I do have the occasional caramel colored soft drink, but have always preferred Sprite or 7-Up (these facts are as true now as they were 30 years ado). None the less, the color bothers me. I understand that you can get better "whitening" results from a dentist, but most charge $250 to $500 to do this and dental insurance (which I don't have) would not pay for the procedure. I have done some study on the subject and understand that trying to undertake this at home could lead to gum irritation, as well as uneven results. The problem with home whitening products is that they all promise to be the best product on the market . . . guaranteed or your money back. A money back guarantee is not going to do me much good if the guaranteed product leaves me with uneven or spotty results. I also understand that teeth whitening is not a miracle (one application and bam!, I'll have pearly white, movie star colored teeth). I'll settle for two shades lighter. I have always found that in most cases, word of mouth can be the best advertisement hands down. What products have my "Yahoo Ask" friends had the best results with? Thanks.
--------------------
It sounds like you have done a good job keeping up with your dental care. As people age part of the natural process the enamel of the tooth thins and the dentin which is the layer underneath begins to show through more. The dentin has more of a yellow tint to it so that is why you may notice your teeth changing as you get a little older. The whitners work with peroxide products by opening the enamel up and actually oxygenating the tooth from the inside out. Even with some of the strongest whitening products you will find it necessary to redo it every 1-3 years. Now the most important thing to consider, anywhere that you have composite or porcelain fillings or restorations this area will not bleach. You are correct that bleaching treatments can be pricey, anywhere between $300-$400 in the state I am in due to the cost of getting fitted with a custom tray. You are a good candidate for bleaching because you take good care of your teeth and don't drink much of anything that will stain your teeth. What I would recommend is to try either the White Strips, get the professional strength from your dentist office. Or if you are looking for something a little stronger here is a good website for you with home whitening products. www.smilox.com I would personally recommend the Opalesence products because they are approved by the ADA so that means they will do what they say. Keep in mind if you order any of the bleaching gels you will need a try. You can order the do it yourself trays from that website and mold them at home to your mouth. My best tip for you if you do it that way, is do not overfill the tray. If the gel gets up on your gums it can cause swelling and sensitivity. I hope you find this information helpful and good luck.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment