Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Why do I keep getting cavities?

Ever since I was a child I have had terrible problems with my teeth, especially with cavities. While I admit my dental health was not the best as a child, I am now extremely fastidious about brushing and flossing my teeth daily. The last time I visited my dentist she even remarked that I had the cleanest teeth she had ever seen and in the next breath chastised me for having six cavities. What opinions do you have on the subject (especially medical professionals)? Contributing factors: -Bad dental hygiene as a child. -Was constantly fed high sugar foods in adolescence (I am now extremely careful with my diet). -Did not have dental insurance and saw the dentist infrequently. -Had trench mouth when I was eight years old. -While my orthodontist did a fabulous job on giving me an aesthetically pleasing smile, she didn't teach me how to properly clean my braces or headgear. Is there any advice on how to prevent future damage to my teeth?
--------------------
Sounds like you are doing the right thing now. Brush 3x day for 2 minutes and floss every night. People who are high cavity risk should be getting extra flouride. Ask your dentist for a prescription flouride toothpaste... two popular ones are Prevident and ClinPro (you need a prescription because you cant get these in the store). Then, you should also get flouride treatments in office twice a year. Also, use a flouride mouthrinse at home. Then, look at your diet. Don't sip on sugary or acidic beverage all day (coke, tea, lemonade, and even orange juice) Drink these with meals and brush your teeth afterwards. Also, helps to drive these with a straw to bypass your teeth. Then, drink water between meals so your teeth aren't in an acidic environment. If you are doing all this then it probably is just genetic!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment