Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Can I do something about this dentist bill?

I previously had dental coverage through HealthNet (Safeguard?) and found a dentist near my house through their online system. I had a routine check-up as well as had a tiny hole in my tooth filled. A few weeks after my visit I recieve a letter from HealthNet showing the procedures that were done and how much they were going to pay. It also said on the letter that if I went to a contracted provider, I was not responsible for the difference between how much they were going to pay and how much the provider charged. The difference amount is about $266. Since I found the dentist through their online system I assumed they were a contracted provider so I disregarded the letter. A few weeks after that I receive a letter from the dentist saying that I owe them $266. So I called my health insurance and they told me that since if I went to a contracted provider I wouldn't have to worry about any difference owed. I then spoke to the dental office and they said they only recieved a check for $90
--------------------
Wow, that really sucks. Unfortunately, you are responsible for the bill. Trying to argue with an insurance company is always a losing battle. Anytime a dental office verifies eligibility through the dental insurance the insurance company always states that there is no guarantee of payment. Which means, if you called up HealthNet and asked them if a certain procedure was a covered benefit and they said "yes it is and its covered at 100%", they could STILL turn around and deny the claim, pay nothing, and your stuck with the bill. Every insurance company does it. No exceptions. They can change your coverage plan at any time. Its frustrating for dental offices and patients. So even though it was wrong that they mislead you there is nothing you can legally do. Did it for sure list them as a participating provider online or did it just give their name? Many insurance companies recommend dentists that are both in and out of network. Always make sure to ask the dentist if they are a participating provider and double check with your insurance company before scheduling an appointment. The only thing you can do to try and get out of the bill is sweet talk the dentist. Sit down and write them a letter. Send them a copy of what you printed from HealthNets web page. Explain that you were under the impression that they were in network. And if I were you, I would throw in that you really want to keep coming to their office and referring your friends and family but just cant afford to pay co-pays that high. Most dental offices will understand and work with you. It costs them money to send accounts to collection so they try to avoid it. By saying you will refer them new patients gives you some bargaining power and makes you valuable to their office. They will want to make you happy and keep you. If all else fails, ask them to set up payment arrangements. Again, collections costs them big bucks so any other way is better. Good luck
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment