Friday, August 19, 2011

Blocked the shopping channels?

So in the past month, my mom has spent well over 1000 dollars on herself, rather than booking appointments for the dentist, or paying for health or dental insurance and instead lying to the school she works for, saying she gets it somewhere else [when my brothers and I have obvious dental complications. Very. Obvious. For a couple of years now]. She also clips coupons almost daily, buys things she doesn't even need if and only if they're on sale, and freaks out if she has to pay five dollars for homework club, the place my little brother goes if she picks him up from scrabble club late - so I have to walk to school to pick him up, which I don't mind at all, but the fact of the matter is it's five dollars. She'll freak out if she has to pay for absolutely anything. But she'll spend 115 dollars on a fountain she doesn't need, 100 on a new rebounder, and several hundred on clothing and shoes and new jewelery. So I blocked QVC, HSN and NBC. Or SNBC, I think. She'll realize within an hour or two that they're blocked, and she needs a pin if she wants to watch them. She can go online, sure, but everyday she plops down in front of the couch and buys things off the television, and rarely goes on her computer, which she barely knows how to use. So yes. What's your opinion?
--------------------
I can see how your mother's behavior can be annoying at times. She is smart to use coupons and take advantage of deals but it sounds like she needs to balance her spending on her family and other essentials also. Hopefully your relationship with her will not be affected negatively by your channel blocking.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment