Friday, August 19, 2011

Laid off, question about health care expenses?

I work in VT and I just got laid off my job, I've been working there just under a year. My employer paid for my last month of health/dental insurance, but since I only worked one week in the month before my layoff, they are making me pay for the difference for the other 3 weeks of healthcare. Even though I had no choice of finding cheaper insurance or anything. Can they do that? They are deducting it from my last paycheck (about $300). Someone told me that they couldn't because I did work for them for part of the month and they already paid for it. That is different than COBRA, since I was working part of the time. IF they cannot do that, I need to offer them some sort of proof or web reference to get my money back... I've searched the web and cannot find what I'm looking for, but I may not be searching for the right thing. Anyone know the answer?? Please I'm desperate. Unemployment is only about half what I was earning and there are no jobs in the area. I need all the money I can get! Please HELP!
--------------------
most will cover until the end of the month, but that is the company's choice to do so or not. so yes, you may be responsible for the balance. i wish i could give you better news.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment