Wednesday, August 24, 2011

How to tell if a tooth is infected?

I've been grinding my teeth in my sleep as of late and one of my upper wisdom teeth has had part of the front broken off, with a small crack going left to right in he back. It ached in agony for days, to the point where I would wake up just hours after sleeping from the throbbing. I took a swig of 80 proof rum, held it on the tooth for a few minutes then spat it out and it seems the nerve has more or less died, I couldn't feel the throbbing anymore. Now and then I can feel a softer, fainter throbbing deeper in the gum of the tooth though, along with a low ache in my ear on the side of my body the tooth is on, as well as an occasional pain in my head on the side where the tooth is. I can sleep for more than a few hours now, but not a full night's rest. I still wake with a low ache as the cause. Does this mean the tooth is infected, or just that the nerve is still in the process of dying even though I can't feel it? Or that I need to take a swig of high proof alcohol to fully kill the nerve? Quick answers would be appreciated. :) PS: If your only advice is 'Go to the dentist', please don't. I don't have dental insurance. The prices out here means I literally have to choose between having a dentist look at the tooth or eating this month. I'd rather eat.
--------------------
i have both a broken molar and an infected wisdom tooth right now. the broken molar hurt like a *itch. i could feel the nerve throbbing. but i don't think it was ever infected. my wisdom tooth that is infected caused my face to suddenly swell, i had an awful taste in my mouth, my throat hurt. like you, i simply don't have the money for a dentist. so i went to the er, that's expensive too i know but i was scared the infection would spread. they gave me antibiotics and pain meds. for the broken tooth i have i held some whiskey on it a couple times and within a day the pain went away. i still have episodes where it aches but it's not as bad. the doc told me that my broken tooth could have been infected and the infection could have moved to the other side of my face. so basically what i'm telling you is i don't really know. it could be infected. do you have a doc that would call you in some meds without being seen? i hope you figure out what's wrong soon. i don't think there is anything worse than tooth pain.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment