Thursday, August 11, 2011

Crown lengthening ~ anyone had this done?

Let me start by saying I am a dental COWARD. I think I'm about as bad as can be, just short of avoiding the dentist altogether. One of my teeth broke a few months ago. Yesterday the dentist told me I would need to be referred to a peridontist who could do a crown lengthening - he says I need to have a piece of bone removed so he's better able to fit a crown. Altogether, even WITH dental insurance, this is expected to cost me around $800 or more. SO. My questions are.... 1. How painful is this? 2. Is it worth it? I mean, extractions are FREE on my dental plan, so I kind of wonder if I should just have it pulled. It's the second molar on my bottom left side. 3. How well did it work for you?? 4. Would you do it again?? THANK YOU!!
--------------------
It's not painful at all. They will numb you up the same way the dentist numbs you up for a filling. So besides the injection, you shouldn't feel any pain at all. And if you do, let them know and they will give you more anesthesia. It is definitely worth it. Extractions should be the last resort, if all other treatment has failed and the tooth can't be saved at all. Molar teeth are important for chewing. So if you get that 2nd molar tooth pulled, you won't be able to chew as well on your left side. And the top teeth that usually touch that molar tooth, once that molar is gone, the top tooth will start moving downwards into your mouth and you may eventually lose that tooth too if you don't do something to replace the bottom tooth (like a partial denture or an implant). Teeth stay in place because the top and bottom ones touch each other, and that force maintains them. If one is missing, the opposite one, without any opposing force, will start to move out of the jawbone. I can't stress how important it is to save your teeth if you can. I'm a dentist and I hate when I have to extract teeth that could have otherwise been saved. Hope that helps.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment