Thursday, August 11, 2011

Whats considered to better in Illinois, a paraprofessional or a substitute teacher?

I just graduated from college, in, well, a bad economy. To help pay back my student loans I'm signing up to either become a substitute teacher or a paraprofessional (special aids assistant.) I've heard both have their benefits, but I'm not quite sure which is better. I'd also like to add, that I'm applying in Northern Illinois. I'm also applying to more than one school district for substitute teaching to try and obtain work everyday. The average rate is $100 a day for substitutes out here. I'm also working a second job in the evenings and on weekends that have offered to provide me with: medical insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance. So benefits aren't too much of an issue.
--------------------
Generally - subs seem to have a better foot in the door for future teaching positions. The only exception would be if you were looking specifically for a special ed position. A paraprofessional would be better if you were looking for just a job - it would be less stressful - but if you are looking for a foot in the door; be a sub. It does several things: 1) Lets you become visible to many principals 2) Lets you "show-off" your abilities to work with kids 3) And give you the chance to become a long-term sub. Now...becoming a long-term sub is one of the crappiest jobs; all the responsibilities of a teacher w/o any of the real perks. HOWEVER - last year at my district, about 75% of the "new hires" were either teachers from another area, or long-term subs. My principal just hired the long term sub for a teacher that was on maternity and then decided to take a leave of absence. The sub that was her long-term sub got the full-time job.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment