Thursday, August 11, 2011

Should I have these wisdom teeth removed?

Hi guys, Yeah I am twenty four and still have em! Back in 2005 I went to an oral surgeon and he suggested that I have all four removed because of possible crowding and shifting of the teeth. I vetoed the idea because I was leaving for India in two weeks-glad I did, stomach problems, pollution and dry sockets---no thanks. Here we are again, this time I am leaving for Japan in a month and yet again the dentist is recomending they come out---but it seems to me that here in the US they *always* recommend they come out. Is it me or did previous generations/other cultures not bother themselves with this? I am in no pain and really don't have the desire to be. All the same though, right now I have dental insurance and with my company in Japan will have medical but not dental. To take out my cavites, extract a bum root canal and four extractions would be about 240$--not too bad. At the same time I have only 2k saved for my first month in Japan sans paycheck (will be adding another 800.00 to that.) I am not sure if I take the risk and leave them in, or just harden the f*ck up and get everything taken out. Please share your ideas and experiences. Thanks If anyone knows about the state of Japanese dental care and/or how much a Eikaiwa teacher needs to bring, please chime in
--------------------
My old dentist would tell me I should have them removed every time I saw her. I went to someone new, and he told me that I have plenty of room for them and as long as they don't hurt, they're fine. I'm also 24, and I plan on leaving them in unless I end up getting a cavity. Many dentists tell you you need more work than you actually need, just so they can get more money from you.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment