Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How can I talk to my parents about getting braces...?

I am 17 years old and I really need braces. You might see my side more if you look at a picture of my teeth: http://www.flickr.com/photos/carrierox4e… I have been doing some research and I have found out that basically it would be in my best interest to get my teeth fixed now well I am still young. I also found out that according to my parents insurance I have to have dental work started before I am 19 for it to be covered. (we have both regular and ortho. dental insurance). I have tired to talk to my parents about it before and I just get the same speech about how "We don't have the money and you are probably going to have to pay for it yourself". Or I get the speech about how "we need to get a regular dentist first", yes you heard me right. We have not been to the regular dentist in 2+ years... My dad has looked up dentist but it just is not at the top of his priority list I guess. Also let me add we don't have a lot of money but it is not like we can't afford it, if we really wanted to. I mean why would a monthly payment for braces be any different then a car payment, or a house payment.... If that is the case I will probably not get my teeth fixed for a LONG time because right now I do not have a job (I am looking) and I have to pay for my own car and my own college (I am a senior and yes a car is important so I can transport myself to and from college, taking the bus is not an option). I don't know how to bring it up.... I don't think they understand 1. That it is embaressing. 2. It could stop me from getting a job beacuse presentation IS important in todays job market. 3. It makes it a pain in the butt to floss or anything else... Any advice on this?? Thank you!!
--------------------
You need to get that in writing by your general dentist. Based on the diagnosis / need your parents can be convinced.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment