Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Need Legal Advice on Post-Divorce Situation?

I divorced about 13 yrs ago from an abusive man. We had two children together. The divorce agreement stats he would carry full coverage on the children and I would pay any out of pocket expenses after the insurance paid. Long story short, I have had no contact with him due to the abusive past, neither have the children. I tried to pay all bills myself, even if they exceed his portion of coverage. A couple years ago however, i incured a large medical bill almost $4000. I could not afford to pay this and it went to collections. I figured I will pay it when I graduate college, so I left it in collections, and tried to keep up with other bills and living expenses in the meantime. Recently, a judgement was placed on him to pay that unpaid bill....since he was the other parent. In turn, he is taking me to court for being contempt of my divorce agreement. He is trying to recoup the money saying he doesnt see them....he should be resposible. I have paid thousands of dollars in out of pocket expenses for dental alone....and he has no dental insurance. In fact, the orth treatments are $4800 per child. So, with that alone, he should be responsible for nearly $5000 of it. I have never asked him to because I really rather he be out of my life...but since he responded so negatively to this other bill...Does anyone know if I can counter sue? And maybe have this legal action against me stop? I feel like over these years, my out of pocket expenses have greatly exceed this bill he is suing me for? Any suggestion? I appreciate it.
--------------------
Run, do not walk, to see an Attorney in your State. In most States, both parents are jointly responsible for necessities of life unless the parental rights have been permanently severed by a Court of Law. Whether he has seen his children would have no affect on his responsibility of payment of medical bills.. Good Luck.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment