Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How much should a wisdom tooth extraction cost? How can I talk down the price?

I realize that the cost will depend on my location and the nature of my situation, but let me give a few basics. My dentist told me that my wisdom teeth need to come out due to crowding of my other teeth, which is causing discomfort. He recommended me to an oral surgeon in the area, quoting me with a price of $2,000. We don't have dental insurance, so this price seems rather excessive, but I would like to have them removed soon. All four of my teeth are fully erupted and my dentist said it should be a fairly simple procedure. I'm considering going to the dental school at my university. Should that be cheaper? I also would be willing to undergo the procedure awake, instead of opting for general anesthesia. Taking into consideration that my teeth are fully erupted, I don't have insurance, and that I would be willing to not use general anesthesia, does anyone think that I can get a better deal? I plan to call several oral surgeons next week to ask this question, but I would like to be armed with any information that I need on general cost and things that I can do to more or less barter. What should I know before I call?
--------------------
You will save one third to one half at a dental school. You will save money by having a local instead of a general. If you do have a local they will most likely do one side at a time so you will have 2 appointments and 2 recovery periods. Good luck.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment