Tuesday, August 9, 2011

On my final pay stub of 2008, difference between wages and taxable?

I am attempting to estimate my 2008 tax return in order to fill out my FAFSA asap. My final pay stub of 2008 lists YTD taxable - $32983, YTD Wages $35006, YTD Taxes- $7946, YTD Deducts- $2023, YTD Net Pay - $25038.. The difference between the taxable and wages is exactly the YTD of my deductions for my company supported health, dental, Flex Spending and 401K... My question is.. is the number that I am supposed to put on line 7 (wages,salaries, tips, etc) of 1040A the YTD taxable or the YTD Wages? I have been scouring the internet and have heard both... So I guess the short of it is... is "wages, salaries, tips, etc" your pay before or after pre tax deductions like health insurance, dental insurance and 401K contributions? Thanks! Thank you so much!
--------------------
The amount that goes on your Line 7 is your YTD taxable. It's the wages minus the pre-tax items but not the withholding for taxes (federal, State, FICA and Medicare).
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment