Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How can I talk to my parents about getting braces...?

I am 17 years old and I really need braces. You might see my side more if you look at a picture of my teeth: http://www.flickr.com/photos/carrierox4e… I have been doing some research and I have found out that basically it would be in my best interest to get my teeth fixed now well I am still young. I also found out that according to my parents insurance I have to have dental work started before I am 19 for it to be covered. (we have both regular and ortho. dental insurance). I have tired to talk to my parents about it before and I just get the same speech about how "We don't have the money and you are probably going to have to pay for it yourself". Or I get the speech about how "we need to get a regular dentist first", yes you heard me right. We have not been to the regular dentist in 2+ years... My dad has looked up dentist but it just is not at the top of his priority list I guess. Also let me add we don't have a lot of money but it is not like we can't afford it, if we really wanted to. I mean why would a monthly payment for braces be any different then a car payment, or a house payment.... If that is the case I will probably not get my teeth fixed for a LONG time because right now I do not have a job (I am looking) and I have to pay for my own car and my own college (I am a senior and yes a car is important so I can transport myself to and from college, taking the bus is not an option). I don't know how to bring it up.... I don't think they understand 1. That it is embaressing. 2. It could stop me from getting a job beacuse presentation IS important in todays job market. 3. It makes it a pain in the butt to floss or anything else... Any advice on this?? Thank you!!
--------------------
You will just have to wait. That's the reality of it. If your parents were buying expensive items, well, you certainly could argue about that, but many people barely make ends meet and another payment isn't in the works. Even if you have to wait until after the insurance is no longer covered, you could find a dental school to do it for you. They cost about 1/3 less than a regular dentist and there is a professional orthodontist who is checking everything to make sure it is done correctly. I can sympathize, but understand the money restrictions. I had perfectly straight teeth until my late 20s and then they started to get all crooked. Turns out that I had a tongue thrust problem (something regular dentists are not taught and don't know how to identify). Now, I need braces. I'm hoping next year, after getting something else paid off to get braces, but you have to be able to pay for 1/3-1/2 of it before they will start the work (they will finance the rest). My suggestion is to get an extra job during time off. Use that money ONLY for your dental treatment.
Source

1 comment:

  1. I read your and your blog is really informative. Hope you will continue with new article.Dentist Brampton

    ReplyDelete