Tuesday, August 9, 2011

MY 1ST UPPER MOLAR IS CHIPPED! WHAT DO I DO?

Two-part question: 1. Chipped molar: what will be done? 2. Price: how much am I looking at here? Okay, the tooth is specifically the "first molar, upper teeth." I had a root canal done on this tooth more than ten years ago. Metal filling was put in to fill the hole and no crown was placed over it (for whatever reason; don't ask me now why since I can't remember back ten years, you animal). I chewed on for years in blissful ignorance. Tonight, I was eating popcorn and, as usual when eating popcorn, I was chewing on the burnt kernels. I felt like I was biting into something really hard that I couldn't chew away at like the kernels and I just spit it out. I come to find out that a small piece of tooth chipped off. Size? It's about the size of three pinheads combined. Now, none of the filling was included. A closer inspection with a mirror stuck into my mouth revealed the chipped piece of tooth came from the side of the tooth itself. * 3 years ago Additional Details There is now a tiny little hole on the side of this tooth and my tongue is now sometimes scraping against the side of it, which is now pretty sharp. Food getting into the tiny hole is my main concern since I don't want an infection later on. So, what now? Simply fill in the hole with filling? A new filling altogether? Another thing I want to add that may or may not have anything to do with this: the tooth in question is discolored and has been for a few years now. It's grayish compared to my other teeth and almost a blackish ring exists where the tooth meets the gumline. I've also noticed that the metal filling has been eroding little by little over the years. Is this tooth a goner eventually? 3 years ago Second part of my question: I don't have dental insurance, so how much am I looking at here to have this chipped tooth fixed? I haven't been to the dentist in years so I'm freaking out here over what else the dentist is gonna find. He or she will see a patient with no dental insurance that already had five cavities and a root canal and now a chipped tooth and is gonna probably take advantage of my wallet, huh? Need to look at the exact tooth in question? Again, it's the "first molar, upper teeth."
--------------------
To answer the first part of your question nothing is an emergency. The tooth won't rot or become sensitive, so there rush. The tooth becomes more brittle after a root canal is done and will chip and break easier. (Almost the same as a dead branch on a tree--it is easier to snap off than a live branch) You can patch in the broken area with a silver or white filling but you must realize that this is only a temporary fix. This will be a lot less expensive than a crown would be. You should really have a crown done as this will return the tooth back to its original strength. The next time it breaks it may not be so little and you could possibly lose the tooth. Good luck with your decision.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment