Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dental care and general Health Care question?

A friend at my church doesn't have "dental care" as part of his benefits package. Therefore, he doesn't take his family to get periodic checkups. THIS totally baffles me. EVEN IF he isn't covered by "insurance" (which I remind you, YOU PAY FOR in your premiums), 6-month cleanings and check-ups are only about $75 each, or $150 a year. I KNOW he can afford to pay by the fact that he smokes, how he dresses, the sports his kids are always signed up for, and the "toys" he buys (camper, scooter, "stunt" bikes for his boys, etc). In my mind.... $150 a year to keep your teeth is pretty darn cheap! So here's the "deeper question"..... Knowing he COULD get the care, but doesn't because it's not provided for "free" at his place of work.... am I supposed to support a government solution that somehow causes ME to pay for him, and/or risk screwing up the care I have and am VERY happy with? HOW do you think we should help uninsured" people like him?
--------------------
You pay if it is offered. It is usually separate. You didn't say how many kids he has. So if you take 150 x 4 or 5 that is a lot of money. How much does he make. Can he afford an extra amount out of his budget. I have several suits I wear that look expensive but they were purchased some time ago. You can't judge based on clothing and toys. Why does it bother you about his teeth. You aren't paying the bills. I'm glad you aren't someone in my church you sound very judgmental. That being said, health insurance reform is important. There are many people who would love to have insurance but can't afford it after being uninsured for a time. I can't afford to pay for insurance that doesn't cover preexisting conditions for a year So would have to pay premiums for a year and still pay for any doctor visits that are connected to a preexisting condition. We need to have some reform to bring down the cost of insurance. Tort reform and cap on payments, letting insurance companies compete across state lines, knocking out the pre existing condition clauses. That would get us a long way in correcting what is needed in our health insurance needs. The government wouldn't have to do more than what it is doing to help the poor.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment