Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Upselling at a dental office?

Okay, so I went to the dentist, which I normally do twice a year. I had been seeing a dentist regularly who always just cleaned my teeth filled one cavity the last time I was there and that was it. I went to a different dentist last week because my insurance changed and it's closer to my house. From the minute the dentist walked in they were trying to tell me that I needed braces, that I needed 8 cavities filled, that I needed a deep cleaning, and visits every 3 months instead of every six months. I found this very surprising because wouldn't my last dentist have realized that?? So my question is, do people at dental offices ever try to "up sell" their services or products? Or do they ever tell you that you need something even though you may not really need it? Anyone who has every had this experience or that works in a dental office please help!
--------------------
yes some of them do! i have worked in a few dental offices and have seen it many times... they are almost as bad as mechanics. they also get special "perks" for refering you to other places for dental work, so some do that a lot too. the biggest one they do is, "you need your wisdom teeth pulled cause they are impacted." well, everyones teeth are turned in while they are in the gums until the yget ready to break the gum and come in as visible teeth... a lot of ppl dont know that so, when a persons wisdom teeth havnt come thru yet, in the xray, it shows they are turned laterally instead of vertically. well, everyones teeth are that way until they come thru the gums... but, a dentist know that ppl genreally dont know that so ppl belileve that if they dont get them pulled, they will continue to grow that way. but the reality is, if your wisdom teeth are coming thru fine, and arent causing any discomfort, and not crowding the rest of your teeth. they are fine.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment