Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Does anyone use private health insurance?

I have always been under the assumption that it was a lot more money than the insurance we could get through my wife's employer or mine. For the two of us 39 and 35 as well as our two kids 3 and 6, we are currently paying out of pocket $631.08 a month for HMO coverage and another $77.32 a month dental for Aetna through my wife's job with a $2000 deductible and $30 office co-pays. We are now being told that, as of March first, it is going to go up another $250 a month with a $2500 deductible that has to be met before they will even start to cover office visits at the $30 copay. That doesn't feel like insurance to me. I have been looking around online and am seeing sites like ehealthinsurance.com with quotes for $300 to $500 a month PPO from major carriers (not including dental) that have $20-$30 office co-pays and $2k-$3k deductibles for issues beyond office visits. Is anyone else using this type of private insurance and, if so, is there a catch that I am not seeing? btw, please don't tell me to wait for Obamacare to save me.
--------------------
Well, I know when I researched this in Iowa (bluecross.com) it was actually cheaper for my children (they have no chronic illnesses) and you get to pick from a variety of plans with a variety of co-pays and deductibles. I am NOT an employee of them or any other insurance company (disclaimer time!); just a parent wanting to get REASONABLY priced coverage. So far, so good with payments and what they pay.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment