Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Can I use my HSA to pay for my wife's COBRA premiums?

This is a bit confusing - My wife recently left her job where we were both covered by her employer's health and dental insurance. As a result, we both moved onto the plan offered by my employer - a high deductible HSA plan. Although we intend to use our current medical plan, my employer can't offer reasonable dental insurance. Because the HSA can be used to pay for dental expenses, I'm trying to figure out if we can pay for the dental COBRA premiums out of our HSA. Anybody know? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
--------------------
Yes, you can use HSA funds for any tax qualified premium including COBRA premiums. Here is the IRS publications regarding HSA plans: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p969.pdf
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment