Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I need to ask for advice about my 11 year old sons teeth?

My son has a very uncommon problem he is completely immune to Novocaine. It has no effect on him, the dentist was trying to attempt to do a root canal on a back tooth, (pretty sure it is a permanent tooth) and gave him 5 shots and waited before putting a shot right in his nerve. This only made him hyperventilate and still no numbing. I have called a dozen dentists and all of them say that they will not do a root canal on a permanent tooth, only pull it. he is too young to get his tooth pulled. We tried gas also, but it made him queasy and still they tried to give him a shot but still no luck. Now I just found out that my ex-husband canceled his dental insurance and I am still not even sure what direction to go. I do work full time but I know that having him sedated is not going to be something I can afford. I will not qualify for help because my son already has health insurance. Please give me some sort of advice, I love my son very much and I hate to see the worried look on his face when Mom has no clue where to go.
--------------------
If your ex-husband cancelled his dental insurance, and your son is dependent on that, you need to go to the courts. I would assume that, since your son is a minor, and you have custody, your husband is paying child support, and that he is 50% responsible for your son's medical & dental care. Cancelling his dental insurance, thus forcing his 11-year-old son to endure such a nightmarish dental experience is likely to get you a very quick court-order, forcing him to pay up, or garnishing it from his wages. And that nightmarish experience could lead to far more serious problems if it causes your son to develop a terror of dentists. I did when I was his age, and I'm still paying the price for it now, long after I overcame that terror. Nobody is completely immune to Novocaine. There are different strengths of Novocaine. What works for one person may not work for another, or may take much longer to work. In my own case, it takes a shot of triple-strength & 45 minutes to get me frozen, and 5 minutes to do the dental work. However, it could be that the nerve in your son's tooth is so inflamed that it will not freeze. It's impossible to freeze inflamed tissue. I know this from my own excruciating experience with an inflamed tooth. If your son's tooth is inflamed, there may be an infection in it. This infection will need to be treated with antibiotics before any work can be done. Are you sure you're correct about it being a "permanent" tooth? Dentists will always do root canals on permanent teeth. The ones they won't do root canals on are baby teeth or wisdom teeth, but an 11-year-old won't be getting wisdom teeth for quite a few more years. And if all those dentists you called said they wouldn't do root canals on teeth like the one that's troubling your son, why was your dentist trying to do one on it? Laughing gas relaxes most people (though not all), but provides no freezing, so they'll still need Novocaine. There are more powerful intravenous sedatives, which can further relax, or even completely sedate a patient. Or, a dentist may use hypnosis to relax a patient. As an absolute last resort, you could take your son to a hospital, where they can completely sedate him and remove the tooth. In the meantime, if the tooth is hurting him, ibuprofen is the most effective painkiller for dental pain, because it reduces the swelling that's causing the pain. But you definitely need to get a second opinion from a better dentist before bringing your son back to your current one.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment