Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Need a root canal ... :(?

Hey so I'm pretty sure I need a root canal. My one tooth now has been hurting for five continuous day. Just this constant ache that shoots right up to my head. Needless to say I've been taking advil throughout the day. I'm pretty sure it needs a root canal because it's been a while since I've been to the dentist and this tooth has had days in the past where it has hurt. (You know the cycle). I don't have dental insurance and I can't afford right now to pay out of pocket. Anyone have any short term remedies that can help with the pain? I know what some of you are going to say .. just go get it done. I'm really trying to hold out because I have several job apps out there and if I can get one of these jobs I would likely have insurance in a few months Thanks
--------------------
The prices at dental schools are way, way lower than at professional practices, and even if the nearest one is four hours away it's still worth the drive. You didn't say where you were, but Googling "dental school" and your area should put you on the right track. Their waiting lists tend to be very long, so in the meantime get to a regular dentist to get a professional opinion on the situation and how much time you can buy. A constant pain *might* indicate an infection, and if you can get some painkillers and antibiotics it will bring you some relief while you sort out the money situation. An emergency assessment usually only involves one or two x-rays of the affected area, some tapping and prodding, and then they let you go. Should only be $100 or $150 and take less than an hour. Then you'll know what's going on and what your next steps are. Good luck, both with the tooth and the job hunt. Both are killer when they go wrong.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment