Monday, August 8, 2011

I'm a grown woman terrified of going to the dentist?

I'm nearly 30 and I have not had dental insurance during the last 10 yrs and I have not seen a dentist in at least 12 years or so. I take care of my teeth, I floss and brush twice a day. I had braces for 3 yrs as a teenager and I saw the dentist regularly througout my childhood. Now I have some problems with my teeth. I'm pretty sure one is absessed (though not painful) and part of a tooth has broken. I'm not in pain, thank god. I've developed a huge anxiety over my teeth as to where I think I would have a panic attack if I saw a dentist. My husband started a new job and will have dental insurance in the near future. I'm so afraid to go. Has anyone else had a fear or anxiety of the dentist? I feel so ashamed :(
--------------------
Since you haven't been to the dentist in so long, the first appointment will likely just be a consultation exam with xrays. It will give you a chance to get to know the dentist and help you feel more comfortable. Plus you should be able to get an idea of exactly what needs to be done. The dentist is there to help you and will not do anything that you're uncomfortable with. Let them know right away that you haven't been to a dentist in a while and just want to know where things stand with your teeth. You will want the abscessed one dealt with before it does begin to hurt and the broken one may be able to just be filled since it's not bothering. Only a dentist will be able to tell. Your teeth may not even be as bad as you think they are since you brush and floss regularly.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment