Monday, August 8, 2011

Price or quality of care? What would you do in this situation?

This is marriage-related in that I have some personal anxieties about spending "our" money for something that I think is really a personal expense I should be able to foot myself. (We have a hybrid his-hers-and-ours money arrangement.) My dental insurance is HMO. If you know anything about insurance, you know that's bad insurance. It means you have to pick from a short list of dentists, many of which suck. I need a root canal and a crown for a broken molar. I found an out-of-network dentist to do a free consultation to explain all this. I really like him, his personality, his helpfulness, the helpfulness of his staff, and the way they were completely open and willing to talk about money matters upfront. But my insurance won't pay him. And this will end up costing me over $2000 through him. My husband is willing to take the money out of joint savings to pay for it, but I don't feel completely comfortable with that. If I stay in-network, the only option I have is a dentist 25 miles away who is a complete hack, with unhelpful staff and a surly personality and a history (from people I know that have been there) of doing shoddy work. The money concerns are gone, but I would deal with a lot of abrasive personalities and a lot more office visits to get the same work done there. You can tell which way I'm leaning, but is $2000 excessive for insuring quality of the work and service I get? Am I being silly to hesitate on my husband's offer, or would you feel weird too?
--------------------
This is your (oral) health you're talking about...not a masseuse or yoga instructor or someone you could live without if you had to...poor dental health can lead to health issues in other parts of your body, and real misery is when you've got pain in your mouth... Go to the dentist you like, and payback your savings account as soon as possible (make regular payments into it, as if you were paying your dental bill to the dentist over time)...when it comes to my health, I won't knowingly go to someone who does half azzed work or who has a crummy attitude and crummy staff...I've had serious enough health issued to where sweet and understanding/caring people are the only ones I want to deal with...people who care about me and the level of care I recieve...
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment