Monday, August 15, 2011

23 no dentist?

Im 23 and basically my whole life Ive never been to the dentist , I went once when I was 13 to have a tooth pulled but other than than I never went to the dentist , my parents never had enough money to take us. Now that Im older and I have my own kids I know how important it is to take them to the dentist every 6 months. About 4 years ago I noticed my teeth started decaying , the back two molars are almost completely gone from cavities and I have other cavities that are now coming up but it has never hurt until now - I can barely talk and all my words are slurred because my teeth are sooo sensative. I know its important that I see a dentist right away but Im scared and embarrassed that my teeth are soooo bad and Im scared about what the dentist is going to say. Im also scared about how much money it is going to cost me , I dont have insurance for myself . Any advice or tips on how to deal with this situation or maybe a dental Insurance info can help ??? And what can I expect when Igo.
--------------------
You are not the first person this has happened to......so that is nothing to be scared of....you need to tell your story just as you did here and they have all heard this before... Now on to the problems...if your teeth are decaying, it is an infection and bad for your whole body, not just your mouth...they sound like they need to be extracted...but, you need to find a good dentist,(ask around to friends you trust, or call your local dental society for someone reputable) and see if they offer a plan like CareCredit (a dental line of credit, google it) then you can make payments and spread the cost over a year or more... It is better just to get started, and may not be as bad as you think....they will do a inital health history, exam, then some x-rays, and then tell you what is needed.... Do not be afraid to get into a dialogue over what you want to be done first and what you can afford. The best policy is to be up front about your needs and concerns and then you establish a good, open and complete rapport with the office. Again.....please do not be concerned that you have never been....many young adults are in your same situation, and the important thing to do is to get it taken care of....even if it will take some time, it is better to get started so you can get healthy again....remember, the decay is an infection, and needs to be treated....it is not good for your general health!! Good luck.....and not to worry....
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment