Monday, August 15, 2011

Can I wait a day or two to have an abscessed drained?

I made a post earlier this morning about a tooth problem I was having, thinking it was just a toothache/mild infection. But i just noticed I have a bubble/blister on my gum so I am guessing it is an abscess. I did call the dentist office this morning (i have no dental insurance, but there is a good affordable dental clinic I can go to) and they had no openings today and said they would call tomorrow if someone were to cancel. I just called and left a message about what I found, hoping they will squeeze me in tomorrow. I know this has to be drained and I will not attempt to do it myself...but if they cant fit me in until Friday or so will I be ok? I am on antibiotics and rinsing with salt water and peroxide.
--------------------
What you have is a Fistula . It is already draining most likely. When a tooth becomes infected (Abscessed) usually the infection finds the least path of resistance and forms a boil outside of the tooth so it can drain. It seeps slowly so you probably have no idea you are swallowing all that infection. The boil will often times remain a boil but will drain from the center (usually hard for you to see) I would not poke at it, you will make it worse. Leave it be and get to a professional. If you have to wait a few days, no worries. When Fistulas do not form, that is when you see people with severe swelling in the face. Your face will not swell since the fistula is present and draining. You stated that "you know this has to be drained" and that is incorrect. If your face was huge and swollen that is when they do an I & D (incise and drain) leaving small rubber tubing in the area, keeping it open for drainage. This is not you. You will be fine, since you are already on antibiotics, to wait a few days. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. All the best
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment