Monday, August 15, 2011

Doxycycline for infected wisdom tooth?

Would it be ok to take doxycycline for an infected wisdom tooth? I went to the dentist on Thursday and he gave me some mouth rinse to use...it seems to have helped a bit. The actual area around my tooth is a bit better-less red and painful, but still a bit swollen. But I noticed a couple nights ago that it is now really red back behind the infected tooth-like towards my throat, but not quite in my throat. It doesn't really hurt, maybe burns a bit, but nothing too bad. I thought maybe the infection had spread to that tissue possibly. The thing is, I don't have dental insurance and i really can't afford to go back to the dentist just to ask him this. I had some doxycycline left over from an illness a few months ago. About a weeks worth. Is it ok if I take it to see if it clears up this red area? I already took one last night after reading that the infection can spread to the throat and it can be very serious. I will also be having my wisdom teeth out in a couple weeks by an oral surgeon, do I need to tell him I took the doxycycline for this? I apologize for this not being in the dental section, but I never get any help there. Thanks.
--------------------
amoxcillin is better for an oral infection. and yes i would advise your dentist you have been taking it.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment