Saturday, August 20, 2011

Help...I dont want to lose my teeth!?

O.k.....I have always taken pretty good care of my teeth(I haven't always brushed twice a day or flossed like I should) but I was brushing daily and flossing when I thought to do it.I have NEVER had Dental Insurance.The last time I had a cleaning and exam was in 2001....and then last year I started noticing that my gums were becoming inflamed on occasion and starting to bleed when I brushed. Immediately I suspected gum disease but I could not afford to go to the Dentist.Finally my Grandmother agreed to pay for a dental visit for me(I am a 28 yr old newly single Mother of 2) and my fears were realized when they told me I am having a periodontal problem but she said that it is in the early stages with minimal bone loss and receding. In fact if I smile and you look at my teeth, you would never even know there was anything wrong.So she tells me I need to have "Deep Cleaning"/Scaling and Planing done where they will also administer an antibiotic/antibacterial to the gums and this along with regular cleanings should take care of the problem for good.Obviously I cannot afford to pay $600 for this plus another $450 for the 3 tiny cavities I need removed and filled.What can I do? I do not want to lose my teeth! Please Help!!!....Oh and by the way,should I get cleanings every 6 months or every year?
--------------------
You will not be able to do anything at home that will correct your problem. You are in the initial stages of periodontal disease and need just what they told you. If you don't have it done it will only lead to worse damage,much more expense, and maybe the loss of some teeth. So I would try to finance the payments through the dental office if they offer any options or borrow the money from a bank and pay them the monthly installments. Insurance is hard to obtain unless you can get it through work. Then some insurance may consider your treatment a pre existing condition. And yes, with a history of periodontal disease you should be seen a minimum of every 6 months to prevent this from re occuring. Good luck
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment